Thursday, August 18, 2011

August 15 redux


August 15

The minister is speaking
and all gathered are
hanging
on his words of comfort.

I, on the other hand,
am more concerned with
the insects-
grasshoppers, crickets, bees,
and others-
all singing of life.

It seems to me
they are singing a song
praising the one we all
are gathered to honor,
even as we mourn
her passing.

I hear the pastor's words
and I understand them,
even agree with them
(mostly,
but that's my issue,
not his)
and
I appreciate his efforts.

I thank him, after the
ceremony
is complete.

Everyone is gone.
I give my thanks
to the insects,
for their role
in this ritual.

Ashes will be spread
on the shore tonight
at sunset.
I will listen then, as well
for nature's song.

Goodbye, my darling.

© Ivar G. Anderson 2011

No comments: